Actually, gray hair is a normal process along with your ages. But most people still feel uncomfortable with the hair color. It seems like the gray color announces to anyone who sees it that they are already that old. Even worse is for the people who had gray hair at their youth caused by heredity, stress or unhealthy lifestyle.
If you are one of the people who have a problem with gray hair and looking for the safe way to cover it, you may already seek for any recommendation. One of the suggestion is naturally cover the gray hair using tea.
Now, the question is : does tea help to cover gray hair?
Let’s start with : yes, it does.
How does it work?
Tea contains tannin, it is important to note that the “tannin” here is not a tannin acid, but refers to the complex of polyphenols including epigallocatechin-3-gallate contains catechin. Once catechin is used to dye your hair for several times, it will give a color to the hair.
The color it brings
The next thing you should know is the color it brings to your hair is not like your average dye product has. The tea which people use to cover they gray hair is the black tea. It brings more color to your gray hair but maybe not as black or dark as you expect.
Here are some steps you can do to have such a color using black tea :
- Prepare boiling water.
- Prepare a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Prepare egg’s yellow part.
- A tablespoon of buttermilk.
What to do :
- Add 2 tablespoons of black tea to the boiling water and wait for about eight minutes.
- Add the egg’s yellow part, buttermilk and olive oil into the water and stir properly.
- Wait until the mixture is warm.
- Apply the “tea” into your hair thoroughly and wait for one and half hour.
- Then you can rinse the mixture with warm water and apply more black tea (without any additional ingredient).
But if you have more time to do another tea treatment, you can do this :
Ingredient (the amount of these ingredients are dependent on you)
- 3 teabags of black tea.
- A tablespoon of dried sage.
- A tablespoon of dried rosemary.
- A tablespoon of elderberry.
What to do
- Put 3 bags of black tea and the other ingredients into the boiling water.
- Stir it properly and let the tea stay overnight.
- In the next morning, remove all of the ingredients (including the tea bags).
- Wash your hair (you also can use shampoo) first , then rinse it.
- Apply the tea (which has been mixed with the ingredients) thoroughly into your hair.
- Here is the difference with the previous treatment : do not rinse the mixture off from your hair.
Note : For the best result, repeat both steps daily.
To avoid any form of disappointment, it is important to note these facts :
- You have to know that the covering process using tea is not as instant as if you use chemical dye to your hair. It needs more time and constant applications to see the significant result.
- At the first treatment, you may or may not notice the changes on your gray hair is quite normal. Do it constantly.
- The darker color you want means the stronger tea you should use and the more often you should apply the tea to your hair.
- The tea does not really change the color of your hair.
- The tea is only “help” to cover your gray hair, tone down your gray hair, and if you do it constantly : darken it at least to the level of make it unnoticeable.
How long can it last?
The color which tea bring to your gray hair is temporary. It also depends on some factors such as how strong the tea and the mixture, how long you let the tea stay into your hair and how often you apply the treatment. Many people do it daily to get the best result, and the other do the application once or twice a week.