Although not life-threatening, nail fungus, which mostly affects the toenails is a quite complicated issue, especially because it may be painful and cosmetically unattractive. Nail fungus commonly triggers the occurrence of ringworm, which in most cases, is easier to get rid of compared to the causal fungus itself. While the ringworm may occur around the nail, the causal fungus resides on the nail bed and is protected by the nail itself, making it harder to completely remove. Some common visible signs of nail fungus include thickened and brittle nail, changing nail color, inflamed nail bed, itching, and stinging pain. Nail fungus may be caused by variety of factors, including diabetes, excessive humidity, decreased blood circulation, and aging.
Getting rid of nail fungus
Nail fungus may not only cause physical change to the affected nails that is cosmetically unpleasant. It also triggers inflammation that may cause severe itching and pain. To get rid of nail fungus and minimize the resulted effects, medical treatments and anti-fungal medications can be taken. Despite the wide usage of these treatments and medications, the success rate of these costly treatments is relatively low. In addition to this, prolonged consumption of harsh anti-fungal medications may result in liver damage. These are the reasons why an alternative way of getting rid of nail fungus is preferred by numerous sufferers. One of the most frequently-used remedy for getting rid nail fungus is household bleach. Although it may sound strange, a lot of people state that they have responded well to the usage of bleach to help get rid of nail fungus.
Will bleach get rid of nail fungus?
Household bleach that has been widely used for washing hospital bed sheets and floor surfaces is assumed to be able to kill nail fungus and help improve the resulted effect. This substance contains sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) that works as an effective disinfectant against disease-causing bacteria. This, according to various reviews and user experiences, includes the causal fungus of nail fungal infection. Household bleach containing 3% to 6% of NaOCl is used by a number of patients as a replacement for more expensive medications and treatments that may trigger various side effects. The majority of nail fungus patients using bleach to get rid of the causal fungus report that they have responded well to this home remedy. However, there are some cautions to consider when using bleach as a home treatment for nail fungus.
How to use bleach for nail fungus
Although bleach is said to be beneficial in treating nail fungus, it is a harsh compound that may cause skin burns if used without cautions. Whenever you decide to give bleach a try to help get rid of nail fungus, you will need to mix it with water in equal part. Avoid using merely bleach as it may irritate the skin, resulting in worsened condition. If you are soaking your feet in bleach solution to improve nail fungus-affected toes, it is important to pay close attention to the time length. Avoid excessive soaking to prevent burning and irritation that will lead to another skin problem. Lastly, you should remember that more does not always mean better. Avoid multiplying the advised amount of bleach to use as this will not help getting rid of nail fungus effectively. Instead, it may end up in skin irritation.
To get rid of nail fungus, you are advised to use household bleach instead if the industrial-strength one, since it contains much higher NaOCl that may burn your skin badly. Mix a cup of the bleach with 10 cups of warm water and soak the feet for three minutes. Avoid soaking the feet more than the directed time length as it may burn the skin and worsen the problem. Rinse the soaked feet with water once the treatment done and pat it dry with a clean towel. Do the treatment once a week and repeat until the pain and inflammation subsides. Avoid any bleach treatment if you have an open wound on the feet as it may aggravate the wound. Although bleach is said to be effective for killing bacteria, using it with an open wound might lead to infection.