Peeling skin on the face is surely a beauty problem. There are a number of causes that may trigger the occurrence of dry, peeling skin all over the face. Sunburn is one of the most common cause, but some skin disorders, such as dermatitis, eczema, and certain skin infections may also be the culprit.
Depending on the affected skin layers, skin problems on the face may vary. The dry peeling skin on the face is one of the commonly resulted effects. Although you might not be able to get rid of it overnight, some methods and remedies can help minimizing the effects and eventually get rid of this effect.
Determining proper remedies to use for dry peeling skin on face
Since dry peeling skin on face may be caused by a variety of causes, determining the most underlying one is essential in order to find the most suitable treatment afterward. To determine the cause, you will need to observe the symptoms and signs shown by the flakes and the surrounding skin on the face. With certain illness and skin disorders wherein severe inflammation is present, medications may be needed.
Doctor’s advice is essential in this case. However, there are some remedies and methods which can be used if the dry peeling skin is not associated with severe illnesses and on the other hand, is resulted from severely dry skin, mild sunburns, or irritation.
What to use for dry peeling on face
It is important to know what remedies to use for dry peeling skin on face, since this may be the skin issue that is very hard to conceal. Wearing heavy make-up to conceal dry peeling skin on the face does not only make it worse but may be a difficult thing to do, since cosmetics normally do not blend well on very dry facial skin. Thus, you might need to consider some other remedies or methods that are more beneficial to minimize both the severity and appearance of dry peeling skin on the face.
- Moisturizer or natural skin cream that will nourish the skin cells and promote collagen production. If you do not have any moisturizer available, you can substitute it with vegetable, olive, or coconut oil, which is unscented and ultra-moisturizing. A good moisturizer required by dry peeling skin should be thick in texture and provides a smooth application with shooting effect.
- Unscented facial soap, as fragrances may irritate the skin, trigger itching that will end up in dry skin. Irritated skin will likely to produce flakes that are visible as the dry peeling facial skin. It is important to use a gentle, unscented facial soap to wash your face daily. Once you finish washing the face, it should feel soft, smooth, and healthy, instead of tight or oily.
- Petroleum jelly, the beneficial moisturizer which also provides a protective barrier against the weather and irritants that may make the problem worse. Apply or dab a thin layer of petroleum jelly onto the dry peeling skin on the face during the day and before night sleep. Application of petroleum jelly also provides a moist environment that is crucial in speeding up the healing process in the area with dry peeling skin. A moist environment is needed by skin cells to grow and repair the damaged ones.
- Non-alcohol face toner, which is important to provide sufficient hydration to the facial skin. Dab the toner with a cotton ball onto the dry peeling skin on face after you wash it thoroughly. This will keep the area hydrated and thus, minimize the peeling skin.
- Water, fruits, and vegetables, which are all important to maintain your hydration holistically. Dry peeling skin is also triggered by lack of hydration in your tissues and organs. Hence, drinking more than 8 glasses of water a day is advised, along with the consumption of watery fruits and vegetables.
What not to use for dry peeling on face
- Harsh, scented facial soap and heavy cosmetics which are going to clog your pores.
- Any scrubbing materials, such as exfoliator or even a sponge designed for face, as it will irritate the skin and trigger inflammation.
- Too-hot water. Lukewarm water is beneficial for helping you removing dry flakes all over your face. However, too-hot water may aggravate the area and irritate the tissue, which will result in a worse case of dry peeling facial skin. Patting your facial skin dry after washing it is also essential as if you do not do it, the water is going to evaporate and leave your skin even drier than before.
- Clay-based masks. Although face mask is believed to be beneficial in removing dead skin cells, a clay-based mask is not a good remedy for your facial skin if it has already had got dry peeling skin, since this type of facial mask draws moisture out of the skin, leaving it to be drier.