Apple cider vinegar has variety of healing properties that help making acne scars less noticeable. In fact, you can easily find this remedy and use it as a self-care remedy for any kinds of acne scars—mild redness, dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and indented acne scars, although how severe the scars are will define how long you will need before seeing any improvement to the treated areas. Despite being an effective acne scar remedy, apple cider vinegar may cause irritation and mild skin burn if use without cautions.
How to use apple cider vinegar for acne scars
Apple cider vinegar that is used regularly will not only improve your acne scars, but may also improve the skin’s entire condition. No matter what your skin complexion is and no matter how dry or oily it is, apple cider vinegar will always be a beneficial remedy for any developed acne scars. To use this remedy for acne scars, there are some common methods:
Topical treatments means using apple cider vinegar to improve acne scars developed on the skin by applying the liquid directly on the affected skin area. Many people choose this method, as it is simpler, practical, and has less digestion-related side effects. Your digestive system might be very sensitive about what foods you are consuming and hence, adding some tablespoons of apple cider vinegar may trigger some serious unexpected disruption to the system. Thus, applying the remedy topically might be more helpful and worry-free. In fact, there are some benefits of using apple cider vinegar for acne scars topically, such as:
- You can easily select the targeted area and hence, do not need to apply the vinegar to all facial skin.
- You can do a swatch test without harming your entire facial skin. You can always do the test in the hidden spot, so that if allergy reactions occur, it is still unnoticeable.
- You can see any resulted differences easily.
Apple cider vinegar, apart from being an acne-scar remedy, can be taken orally for improving some other medical issues, such as gastrointestinal infection, stomach upset, and even aids in weight loss. Taking the remedy orally is hassle-free, but might cause unexpected digestion-related side effects for those having sensitive digestive system.
Using apple cider vinegar topically for acne scars
To use apple cider vinegar topically, follow these directions:
Diluted apple cider vinegar
This solution can be used for daily natural toner, which helps restore facial skin’s natural glow and makes the scars less noticeable.
- Mix a cup of distilled water and ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Put the mixture in a spray bottle and shake well. Refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Spray the solution onto the targeted area or use a cotton ball to dab it.
- Let it sit for few minutes before washing it off with water.
- Pat the area dry and repeat the treatment once a day.
Lemon apple cider vinegar
Lemon is loaded with antioxidant properties, which with apple cider vinegar can help fade dark spots and stains resulted from acne.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with the same amount of freshly-squeezed lemon juice.
- Apply on the scars using a cotton ball and let it sit for few minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water and pat the area dry. Afterwards, apply moisturizer to the treated skin.
- Repeat the treatment three times a week until the dark spots subside or indented area becomes smoother.
Using apple cider vinegar orally for acne scars
Oral use of apple cider vinegar may not necessarily aim acne scars. However, it may improve various digestive problems and maintain body’s health. To use apple cider vinegar orally, mix two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and a table spoon of honey with a glass of water and drink regularly. This will not only improve your skin, but also your entire health. This drink will also decrease your risk of diabetes and help control body weight, as it will make you full, so that you will not be tempted to eat various foods and snacks.
Cautions when using apple cider vinegar for acne scars
- If you have sensitive skin, always dilute apple cider vinegar with water, so that it will not cause any irritation when applied topically, as it may worsen your acne scars.
- Never apply apple cider vinegar on open wound or bleeding acne scars. This may aggravate the wound and damage the tissues beneath the skin that may cause re-bleeding and delay healing.
- If you have severe scarring problem, it is better to consult your doctor before using apple cider vinegar and other remedies for improving the scars.
- Always wash your skin thoroughly after every application of apple cider vinegar. This remedy is also not advised to be applied topically overnight, as it may cause mild skin burn similar to one caused by prolonged topical application of garlic. A patch test is also important to do, in order to see your skin reaction to the solution.