Pimple holes is one type of acne scars which is very hard to remove. In most cases, although not always, pimple holes are caused by picking at a pimple or blemish. These holes may take a long time to remove and may require expensive skin surgical treatments, such as bleaching or laser treatment. Pimples holes are caused by severe skin inflammation when you are having some acne. Due to this excessive inflammation, the collagen and elastic tissues of the skin are not able to regenerate properly and completely, that the tissues are replaced by scar tissues occurring during breakouts.
Preventing pimple holes on face
If you are having pimples, it is important to be prepared on the possibility of pimple holes occurrence, so that you are motivated to treat the pimples properly, so that it won’t leave any marks when disappearing. Pimple holes are also common with cystic pimples which re-occur on the same spot for several times. Regarding pimple treatments to prevent permanent acne lesions or pimple holes, some things need to be consider, such as:
- Avoid using harsh skin products. You will know the products contain harsh chemicals and ingredients when you feel burn sensation or itching when the products are applied onto face. Directly stop using these products, as continue using them might irritate the pimples instead of healing it. When the skin and pimples are infected, the possibility of scars or marks to occur raises.
- Avoid picking at the pimples. Blackheads and pimples might be tempting to be picked at, especially if you have got a habit of touching your facial skin. Unfortunately, picking at pimples, which are basically hardened sebum will leave indented facial skin that develops into holes or ice picks.
- If you are prone to cystic acne which develops on the same spot for several times, it is important to prevent the pimples from reoccurring. Recurrent pimples have a higher risk of developing pimple holes which are hard to remove. Make sure you clean the susceptible area, especially if the cystic pimples develop on your cheeks. Once the pimples disappear, perform a thorough cleansing method to the previously infected skin by exfoliating it regularly and cleansing it thoroughly when coming back from outside. However, avoid over washing the face as it may irritate the skin and thus, raises the chance of having left holes.
- Do not squeeze pus-filled pimples, as it may lead to skin infection and scarring. To avoid pimple holes from forming, it is important to loosen up the pimples to let it fall from the skin without being squeezed. To do this, soak a clean cloth into a bowl of warm water and put it onto the pimples. Let it sit overnight on the pimples, so that it will loosen up. Let it dry and wash the face with mild soap to get it unattached from the facial skin.
- Avoid greasy cosmetics or creams, which may cause clogged pores on face. Clogged pores will lead to hardened sebum, which appears on the surface of the skin as pimples. Pus-filled pimples raise the possibility of pimple holes occurrence once it disappears. It is also important to remove any cosmetics you are wearing before the night sleep. Wearing make-ups while sleeping will lead to skin pore clogs.
- Never use unhygienic instruments to squeeze or pick pimples. If you are doing facial treatments at beauty salons, make sure the place is recommended and using sterile instruments. Squeezing might be helpful in promoting pimples to go down, if done properly with sterile instruments and professional techniques. Hence, it should not be done at home without sufficient knowledge about how to do it.
How to prevent pimple holes on face from getting worse
Although mostly caused by picking at blemish or pimples, pimple holes might also occur without us doing this bad habit. Some pimples cause severe skin inflammation, leaving deep pits on the surface of the skin when the hardened pus and sebum are extracted from the pores. As a result, the holes—the skin pores which are now clog-free are visible, giving an impression of facial skin holes. Should you have already had some pimple holes, there are some things to consider to prevent these holes from getting worse.
- Prevent the skin from getting excessive sunlight exposure. Sunlight exposure will worsen the scars and make them more visible. It is thus important to wear sunscreen when going out.
- Take a good care of the skin, especially the affected areas by performing daily cleansing, exfoliating, and steaming. Do this in the morning and at night to improve skin cleanliness and get rid of dead skin.
- Eat healthy diet to improve the skin condition, especially the affected area with pimple holes. Make sure you limit the consumption of greasy foods, which may clog skin pores and thus, restart the pimple cycle. You might also want to consume fruits and vegetables loaded with vitamin C, which is a natural antioxidant that may improve the pimple holes condition.