Chemical peels are done in order to remove the top layer of skin and let new skin replace it. After a period of time (your doctor will tell you) your skin will peel.
There are two causes of why your skin is peeling after the chemical peel procedure.
- It is a normal peeling skin, which gives you and your doctor a sign that the old skin on the top layer is has been replaced by the new skin.
- It is a premature peeling skin caused by picking, rubbing or scrubbing your skin.
If it is a normal peeling skin
Skin will start to peel around 3 days after the chemical peel procedure and continue until several days. The skin may peel start from nose, chin, and mouth. But even if you are happy because the skin is finally peeling, you should not pick it.
It is understandable that the first move we usually want to do when to see a peeling skin is to grab it and drag it off. But you are not recommended to do such a thing, it may cause a mark or scar since you do not know does your skin has completely healed or has not.
The best thing to do is by washing your face and patting your skin gently with a clean and soft towel. If a large piece of skin is peeling and hanging on your face, you can cut it carefully with clean scissors. Make sure you consult with your doctor to get more information about it.
If it is a premature peeling skin
How do we know it is a premature peeling skin? If the skin is peeled after you picking, rubbing or scrubbing your it. The professionals always tell people who have a chemical peel not to do such things to their skin unless the skin is peeled by itself.
But how if it has happened?
When you have a premature peeling skin, the best thing to do is return to your doctor who does the procedure since your skin may need some treatments. Usually, your skin will be evaluated and you may be recommended to have a rich application of moisturizer or topical steroid.
The other cause is skin care products you may use. One example is skin care product which contains benzoyl peroxide (which fights acne-causing bacteria), also make your skin prematurely peel. That’s why your doctor told you to be careful when choosing skin care products, especially during the healing process. At this point, you should stop to use those products and ask your doctor for any better recommendation.
To avoid you have a premature peeling skin also to make your skin is peeling by its own as a normal healing process, the following information may help:
- When showering, make sure that your face is not directly under the shower stream, it will peel your skin prematurely and the water will make you have some red sore areas on your face.
- Use a gentle cleanser on your face, and do not rub or scrub while applying it on your face.
- Apply a thick layer of moisturizing gently, and do not rub or scrubbing it on your face. You are highly recommended to do this multiple times, about 10-20 times a day. It may seem too much, but your new skin needs an extra care.
- Avoid the sun exposure by limit your outdoor activities. The sun exposure will damage your skin and give it sunburn (which may lead to peeling skin) and hyperpigmentation ( a darkening process on some areas at your skin). If you have to go outdoor, use a wide-brimmed hat and the other protection.
- Apply sunscreen cream, UV rays can damage your skin and give it a sunburn. Make sure that you use a sunscreen with SPF up to 30. Even if the weather looks cloudy, you should apply it, since the cloud only reduces 30% of UV rays, means that the other 70% still affect your skin.
- You are not recommended to use any other skin care products besides the cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen such as bleaching cream, Retin-A or glycolic acid until your doctor allows you.