Hair treatments done in beauty salon can be costly. Thus, being able to do all the basic treatments, such as conditioning and cream-bathing at home will cut down the expenses. Coconut oil is known as one of the most beneficial ingredient to be used in improving hair condition. This coconut product is affordable, yet natural and side-effect free, making it a frequent ingredient used in hair beauty products.
How coconut works in improving hair beauty
Coconut oil has a significant role in improving hair condition. It improves the beauty of your hair by softening it and minimizing the occurrence of dandruff on the scalp. The oil also gives a fresh tropical scent to the hair and scalp. Coconut oil is loaded with lauric and caprylic acid, which give nutrients to the hair follicles and repair the hair from the inside. This natural ingredient also contains vitamin E, which is essential in improving dry scalp and preventing dandruff occurrence. Regular application of coconut oil makes the hair softer, shinier, stronger, and more manageable. This oil is also said to have a lice-killing property, which can be used as a substitution to harsh chemicals for killing the tiny intruders. Coconut oil also rebalance the scalp’s oil and hydration level, and stimulate follicles for proper hair growth.
Side effects of coconut oil overuse
Although coconut oil is loaded with substances which are significant in improving your hair condition, it is important not to overuse it. Excessive application of coconut oil can dry the hair out and may trigger dandruff production instead of minimizing its occurrence. Some people also find the oil trigger itchy scalp and break off the hair, instead of making it stronger.
Is it ok to use it on scalp?
Some people, thus, after finding out coconut oil possible side effects might be doubtful as whether to start using the remedy or not. According to research, coconut oil works by keeping protein in the hair. Thus, this ingredient may be a problem for those who are protein sensitive. However, coconut oil in moderation is advised, as it replaces harsh products and medications effectively.
Moderation and proper application techniques are the key to coconut oil effectiveness in improving your hair. There are many people who wonder whether coconut oil can be used directly on scalp, since some hair tonic and conditioners are not recommended to be applied on the scalp. To discover the answer, follow these recommendation on how to apply coconut oil to get its maximum benefits.
- Always use only the virgin coconut oil, as the coconut oil you use for cooking, for instance, may contain some additional substances which are less beneficial for the hair healthiness
- Coconut oil can be applied on the scalp, as long as it is rinsed properly after left to sit for several minutes. Avoid applying coconut oil without rinsing it, as it may be able to clog your scalp pores, resulting in greasy hair and dandruff problems.
- Too much protein might cause hair breakage, while coconut is in fact, keeps the protein on the hair to strengthen it. Thus, it is advisable that your coconut oil application is followed by hair moisturizer application to prevent the scalp from over drying.
- It is advised to apply coconut oil after warming it, as the oil tends to harden in room temperature, so that it will likely to cause greasy hair when applied to the hair and scalp. Applying warm coconut oil before shampooing is highly recommended.
- Avoid applying too much coconut oil for a maximum effect. Remember, more is not necessarily better. To get an outstanding effect, apply warmed coconut oil onto the hair and scalp and cover the hair with a shower cap for 10 to 15 minutes. This will let the oil to penetrate into the hair shaft to get it softened. Afterwards, shampoo the hair and rinse thoroughly.
- If you experience itching or dry scalp, it is possible that your hair and scalp are protein-sensitive. You might want to have it checked and stop the application until you finds out what it is that becomes a problem for the hair.