Lemons are loaded with vitamin C that stimulates collagen production required by the skin to synthesize new skin cells to replace dead, dull skin. Thus, the juice extracted from the yellow fruit is known as one of the most effective remedy for acne scars. This acidic juice improves both minor and more severe acne scars without any harmful unexpected side effects. Lemon juice is very easy to prepare and can be combined with some other natural ingredients which improve not only acne scars on face, but also the entire facial skin health.
How long does it take lemon juice to fade acne scars?
Acne and pimples might cause different effects among people. Some of them may only experience mild acne problem that will vanish within days without causing any visible effects on the skin, while some others might have been experiencing years of acne and pimple problems with severe aesthetic damages to the skin. These effects, in general, are influenced by some risk factors, such as the skin type, skin thickness, habits, hygiene practices, the severity of acne problems, and treatments used.
A good, consistent treatment with pure lemon juice is able to destroy almost all acne scars. The resulted effects of this lemon juice acne scar treatment depends on the severity of the existed acne scars. Although serious scars from recurrent cystic acne problem may not be easy to be removed completely using merely lemon juice, it is going to fade and thus, be less noticeable without any close observation. Variety of time lengths required for making acne scars fade are found within those using the remedy, although the majority can be classified into general time lengths:
- Acne scars which are caused by mild acne problems, for example, in women during their monthly cycles, or in people who spend most of the time outside, are not usually serious and thus, needs shorter time to be vanished using lemon juice therapy. This type of acne scars usually occurs as dark or red spots on the surface of the skin. Lemon juice which is applied onto the scars might improve it within days.
- Acne scars which involve larger blemishes may need more time to be faded using lemon juice. Based on the depth of the blemishes and your entire hygiene practice, large blemishes on skin take approximately two weeks to fade after regular application of lemon juice.
- Lemon juice is also able to be used with deep acne scars, such as mild ice picks. Lemon juice as a natural astringent has a skin-tightening effect. This helps tightening pitted pores resulted from severe cystic acne problems. Ice picks on face commonly improve within weeks to months of regular lemon juice application.
Tips on applying lemon juice for acne scars
- Lemon juice is acidic. Thus, it stings when applied on facial skin. In addition to the sting sensation, lemon juice also causes itching and tingling sensation. Despite this, you do not have to be hesitate to use lemon juice as an acne scar remedy. The sting may be very bad, especially if you are still having lesions with pimples or acne, but it does not last very long and is endurable.
- Applied lemon juice should not be left overnight as it may cause the skin to be more sensitive. Otherwise, leave it on face for approximately 5 to 10 minutes to be fully absorbed before washing it off with lukewarm water thoroughly.
- After applying lemon juice to the face, you should not expose the face to excessive sunlight. Lemon juice which is applied to facial skin elevates its sensitivity to sunlight. Hence, when reacts with sunlight, it may cause stains on facial skin. Hence, it is important to wear proper sunscreen lotion when having contact with excessive sunlight.
- If you have got very sensitive skin, applying lemon juice to make acne scars fade is not advised, as it may cause burn to the skin. If you insist to use this home remedy, dilute the lemon juice with some water before applying it onto the facial skin. This will reduce the acid and thus, the stinging and burning sensation.