Treating acne has been one of the most complicated problem for the majority of people throughout the world. This has stimulated various big companies to add acne-fighting substances and unfortunately, chemicals into their beauty products to enhance its skin-clarifying effects. However, many people suffering from acute acne problems have instead found their sanctuary in some more natural remedies, including the famous helichrysum oil.
Benefits of helichrysum oil for scars
Dermatologists might offer different costly treatments and therapies to improve skin scaring problems. However, nature seems to offer similarly effective substances, which are less costly and commonly side-effect free. Helichrysum oil is one of the most popular treatments for scars you might want to try.
Helichrysums are the vibrant cousin of sunflowers, which are also cheaper than the latter one. This flower is hypo-allergenic and restorative that you can always refer to when seeking for natural treatment for scaring problems. For years, this plantation has been widely used as a stimulant with anti-depressant properties. It is essential for healing emotional wounds. More fortunately, the flower is also an essential remedy for physical scars, from acne scars to the persistent stretch marks.
Some benefits you can get from this affordable essential oil related to scar healing include:
- Helichrysums stimulate skin cell growth, which is very important for skin regeneration. Adequate skin cell growth is very essential for both healthy skin and the injured one.
- Helichrysums are also enriched with anti-inflammatory property, which is beneficial for acne-prone skin. This will prevent acute cystic acne that mostly result in visible scars.
- Helichrysum oil is one of a few essential oil containing “diketones”, which is helpful in reducing the appearance of age spots, skin discoloration, and scars.
- As a potent antiseptic, helichrysum oil prevents bacterial growth and stops infection, which is essential for scaring prevention.
Does helichrysum oil work for old scars?
As a potent natural oil, helichrysum oil is really beneficial, as does not only it prevent the formation of possible new scars, but also helps repair the old ones. According to various researches, old scars can hardly be repaired. However, helichrysum oil is an effective essential oil that induces significant difference in the treated old scars.
Scars can be minor and acute. They may also be thin and less visible or, on the other hand, raised and vividly hyper-pigmented. Scars might be severe and persistent, as they occur as a result of severe damage to the tissues beneath the skin. Most rubbing substances, unfortunately cannot go deeper into the skin layers to fix this damage. Amazingly, helichrysums have the property to stimulate the growth of skin fibers beneath the skin surface to fill up the scars. Eventually, treated wound site will be filled with healthier skin tissues, making the old scars less visible.
How to use it for scars?
Helichrysums have amazing healing effects on skin and thus, applying it directly to the targeted skin area is the best method of treatment, although mixing it with other beneficial ingredients will not eliminate its useful effects.
- Regular application of the oil will prevent rashes and scabies, especially if you are prone to some auto-immune diseases, such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Applying the oil after showering is best, as your skin is clean and supple, so that absorption of the oil can be maximized. This application is advised for stretch mark treatment. As a persistent type of scars, stretch marks require a certain period of time to improve. In most people, 6 to 8 months is the approximate period you need before having the affected area improved with regular application of this potent oil.
- For any scaring treatments, it is best to dilute some drops of helichrysum oil with olive oil. This will prevent irritation, as essential oils are commonly very potent.
Using helichrysum oil for kids
As a natural plant, helichrysums are not only great for treating scars in adults, but also in young kids. To use the treatment in young kids, dilute the oil with olive oil or tea tree oil, based on what is necessary for the troubled skin. Try not to leave the applied oil overnight with kids, as their skin might be more sensitive than the adults’. Otherwise, let it sit for several hours on the affected skin before wiping the area with warm towel.