Most people are concerned about how their skin look. Thus, glowing, bright skin is everyone’s dream of a perfect skin. Nowadays, there are variety of skin products claiming to be effective in lightening skin tone. However, numerous people might not fond of these products, as the skincare products might be either too harsh for over-sensitive skin, or take too long to give the whitening effects. As a result, people are in search of an alternative ingredient which is able to lighten the complexion and one of the most frequently discussed one is cucumbers.
What do cucumbers do to our skin?
Cucumbers have been widely known for ages. This cool fruit is used widely worldwide, whether cooked or served as raw salad. Cucumbers are freshening and healthy. It is even believed to be able to lower the blood pressure and thus, has been relied on as a natural remedy for high blood pressure and other cardiovascular problems. However, cucumbers are not only good for the body health. Many societies and manufacturers have used this ingredient for cosmetic purposes.
There are some benefits of cucumbers for our skin, which include:
- Cucumbers sooth painful skin injuries and rashes for its diuretic and cooling properties. Cucumbers juice or grated cucumbers are helpful for improving skin condition caused by eczema and pimples.
- Cucumbers soften and moisturize over-dry skin.
- Cucumbers do not irritate the skin and hence, is very safe to be used even for delicate skin area, such as around the eyes and lips. Sliced cucumbers have long been used as a remedy for dark circles around the eyes. It is also beneficial for relieving swollen eyelids without irritating the skin around the eyes.
- Cucumbers help soothing the skin from sunburn, as it possesses cooling effect.
- Cucumbers help closing skin pores and thus, reducing oiliness on facial skin. Controlled skin oil or sebum means less chance of developing acne and pimples, and less pimples helps reducing the marks and scars which may also develop into pimple holes.
Does cucumber help lighten skin?
One of the most popular benefit of cucumbers is for lightening skin. The fruit’s ability to improve tanned skin and dark spots on the complexion have been widely known and proven. Cucumbers are loaded with antioxidants and silica which help refresh and lighten our skin. Since it is a natural ingredient, the fruit is non-irritant and safe even for oversensitive skin. It is also safe for applying cucumber slices onto the eyelids to minimize the effect of eye dark circles.
There are various ways to use cucumbers as a skin-lightening agent. This remedy is beneficial for maintaining light skin complexion and improve tanned skin that is triggered by some risk factors, such as:
- Excessive sunlight exposure and sunburn. Cucumbers does not only give soothing effect, but also improve tanned or reddened skin resulted from sunburn.
- Facial dark or red spots, which are caused by acne problems. Regular application of cucumber juice will help fading these dark spots and improve uneven skin complexion triggered by acne and pimple problem.
- Dark circles around the eyes, which are caused by stress, lack of sleep, and cosmetic use. In addition to lessen the appearance of dark circles around the eye, cucumbers may also be used to alleviate swollen eyelids, which are caused by insect bites, allergies, or crying.
- As a whitening agent, cucumbers also helps fade the scars on face. Superficial scars which are caused by cuts and scrapes may be improved with regular application of cucumber juice or grated cucumbers.
- Cucumbers is a natural remedy for lightening the skin without causing skin irritation. Hence, daily application is not a problem. Many people have improved their facial tone using cucumbers which are applied consecutively within a month. This fruit will make the skin softer and promote its natural glow. This regular application also give fairer skin tone and fresher complexion.
- Clogged pores on face which are caused by accumulated pollutants and dirt. Cucumbers help get rid of these clogging substances and thus, reveal the new skin, which is finer in complexion. The occurrence of this new layer of the skin gives an impression of brighter facial skin.