Acne is a skin disease which caused by some factors such as hormones, puberty, and bacteria. That is why many products have been provided to control this skin problem. There are two ways to have such products, first you can bought it in the cosmetic stores, and the second option is you can make it by yourself at home. This article discuss about how to control your acne with an ingredient you can find in your kitchen : baking soda.
Why baking soda?
Let’s start with the function of baking soda in controlling acne based on the causes of acne itself.
- Acne can be caused by pH imbalance of the skin. Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, has a function as a base or acid that can help to neutralize the pH.
- Second, baking soda also acts as antiseptic to fight the bacteria which responsible to cause acne.
- Third, baking soda acts as anti-inflammatory which helps to reduce the irritation that occurred by inflamed acne.
Although baking soda is good for acne, it can be irritating and drying if it is used too often or you do not control the amount of baking soda. That’s why it is best for oily skin, but you do not have to worry because it also can be applied for any type of skin if you make sure to moisturized your face right away after you apply the baking soda.
How to Apply Baking Soda
You can apply baking soda in three ways :
Combine with your cleanser
This method is best for oily skin. You can combine the baking soda with your acne cleanser. it will give an effect like make your cleanser works maximum.
- Prepare two tablespoons of baking soda , and mix it with your cleanser. (you can simply put the mixture in your hands or in a small container).
- Apply it on your face, and give a gently massage and wait for 30 seconds.
- Remember to moisturize your skin by applying any method you prefer, whether use moisturizer cream or the other natural moisturizers such as milk, honey etcetera .
Do it twice a week for the best result.
Use it as a facial mask
- Clean your face.
A clean face is the beginning of every facial treatment, in order to remove oil and others from your skin. You can use cleanser or simply warm water. Then dry it with a soft cloth or a clean towel.
- Prepare eight tablespoons of baking soda. Put it in a cup .
- Add some water .
- Stir it properly.
- Apply the mixture to your face, especially the most oily spot and where the acnes seems more than in another area. Wait for at least 15 minutes.
- Rinse and it with a dry towel.
- Remember to moisturize your face by applying any method you prefer, whether use moisturizer cream or the other natural moisturizers such as milk, honey etcetera .
For the best result, do it twice a week.
Use it for a bath
There are some people who have acnes on the other area beside their face such as on the back, neck, even on chest. If you are the one who has the same acne problem, you can use the baking soda as a bath.
- Pour an amount of baking soda (usually a half of cup is enough) to your bathtub which has been filled with warm water.
- Enter the tub and stay for 20 minutes , massage the skin around the acnes spot gently.
- Wash/ shower your body with clean water.
- Dry yourself with a clean towel.
Do it twice a week for the best result.
Things you have to consider :
It has been mentioned that baking soda is best for oily skin. It is because baking soda has a side effects such as drying or irritate your skin if it is used too often, especially the ones with dry skin or sensitive skin. It is best to have a test first.
- Do not test it on your face. You can put a bit mixture of baking soda and water to other area of your skin.
- If it is irritating, you should stop.
- If it feels fine, you still have to be careful when use it. Do not use it too often with an assumption that the often and the more you use it, the faster you get the result. This assumption brings more harms than good.
- You should not do the treatment more than twice a week.
You have known the another function of baking soda : it can be a good solution for your acnes. You can do one of the treatment, but do not forget the things you have to consider.